Three injured Filipino crewmen evacuated from a ship in Durban coast

Download MP3

Three Filipino crewmen were evacuated after they were injured while on-board along the Durban coast on Wednesday, 9 June.

The crew were injured on board during normal ships operations while deep sea passing around the South African coastline. One of the crewmen had to be airlifted to hospital.


NSRI Durban duty coxswain, Paul Bevis, said that at 21h31, Tuesday, 8 June, NSRI Durban duty crew and ambulance services were dispatched for arrival of a motor container vessel with the crewmen.

Download MP3

“It was initially planned to leave the rescue paramedics on the vessel to treat the patients on board and then evacuate the casualties off the vessel at first light.

“On arrival at the vessel, in calm seas and rapidly improving sea conditions, the rescue paramedics and NSRI rescue swimmers were transferred onto the vessel and the patients, 2 in serious conditions, were stabilised and in a technical rope high angle operation all 3 were transferred onto the sea rescue craft.”

Bevis said that a Netcare 911 HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Services) helicopter and Netcare 911 ambulance were dispatched to stand-by at the sea rescue station.

“One man, in a serious but stable condition, was airlifted to hospital by a Netcare 911 helicopter and the remaining two men, one in a serious but stable condition and one in a stable condition, were transported to hospital by Netcare 911 ambulance. The operation completed at 06:05.”


On Wednesday, 9 June NSRI confirmed the rescue of three men on Tuesday 8 June, after their luxury yacht ran aground at the Robben Island, Cape Town.

Check Out =>  Faf de Klerk: I’ve missed pulling on the Springbok jersey

The Princess power yacht was sold by Boating World SA. It was a used Princess 45, one of the world’s top power yacht models. 

“On arrival on the scene, in calm seas and dense fog, the vessel was found to be hard aground and listing. A rescue swimmer was deployed to swim and wade to the vessel. In relays of one at a time the three casualty crew were assisted to shore by the NSRI rescue swimmer and they were assisted by DEFF officers on the land side.

“Efforts to pull the yacht off the rocks were investigated but In the low tide the effort was abandoned and an anchor was deployed to attempt to hold the yacht away from the shore at high tide that was due in the early hours of the morning. Disaster Risk Management control were alerted.” Protection Status

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply