The home of retired Anglican archbishop Tutu was torched by fire in Hermanus within the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The explanation for the hearth outbreak isn’t known but residents attention was drawn to the smoke from the retired archbishop’s home.
The Desmond and Leah Tutu Foundation announced the news of the blaze during a statement on Wednesday.
“Archbishop Emeritus Tutu and Mrs Leah Tutu have extended their love and gratitude to staff at their retirement village and members of the local local department after a fireplace damaged the living area of their cottage in Hermanus,” the statement read.
“The couple didn’t sustain any injuries and were in good spirits considering events that unfolded around daybreak today,” the statement continued.
Facebook uses residing on the brink of the retirement village expressed shock and concern after seeing smokes overwhelming the village.
The explanation for the hearth is yet to be confirmed but it’s suspected to be triggered by a faulty heater within the village.